Pedestrians are vulnerable road users. In many countries, collisions with pedestrians are a leading cause of death and injury. In some countries, over half of all road deaths are caused by collisions between vehicles and pedestrians.
Pedestrians are struck by vehicles in a number of situations, including while:
- Trying to cross the road.
- Walking along the roadside, or on the road.
- Playing or working on the road.
- On driveways or footpaths.
- While boarding or leaving public transport vehicles.
Pedestrians can also be struck by bicycles.
The severity of pedestrian crashes is strongly dependent on the speed of traffic. Research shows that the chances of a pedestrian surviving an impact with a motorised vehicle reduces dramatically above 30 km/h, and even at lower speeds than this, serious harm can be caused, especially to elderly or child pedestrians.
Typical factors which may add to pedestrian crash risk include:
- Inappropriate speeds.
- Lack of footpaths तथा pedestrian crossings
- Lack of pedestrian crossing opportunities (gaps in passing traffic).
- Number of lanes to cross (risk is added with each lane).
- Complexity and unpredictability of traffic movements at intersections.
- Inadequate separation of footpaths from traffic.
- Poor street lighting.
- Lack of sight distance.
- Driver/rider fatigue.
- Distraction, including inattention due to mobile phone use.
- Lack of vehicle safety devices.
- Poor condition of vehicle tyres, lights, and brakes.
मामले का अध्ययन
|Central Hatching||Low||10 – 25%|
|पार्किंग सुधार||Low to Medium||10 – 25%|
|Pedestrian Crossing – Grade Separation||High||60% or more|
|Pedestrian Crossing – Signalised||Medium||25 – 40%|
|Pedestrian Crossing – Unsignalised||Low||25 – 40%|
|पैदल यात्री बाड़ लगाना||Low||25 – 40%|
|पैदल यात्री फुटपाथ||Low to Medium||40 – 60%|
|पैदल यात्री शरण द्वीप||Low to Medium||25 – 40%|
|डायरेक्ट एक्सेस पॉइंट्स को प्रतिबंधित / संयोजित करें||Medium to High||25 – 40%|
|स्कूल क्षेत्र||Low to Medium||10 – 25%|
|सर्विस रोड||High||25 – 40%|
|पक्का कंधा||Medium||25 – 40%|
|Sight Distance (obstruction removal)||Low to Medium||25 – 40%|
|Speed Management||Medium||25 – 40%|
|सड़क प्रकाश||Medium||10 – 25%|
|Traffic Calming||Medium to High||25 – 40%|